
Apparently it is migration season for the miller moth. Unfortunately for me, this feels like a major infestation of nasty, flopping, brown insects. They are everywhere! In the past three days, I have vacuumed ten off the floor, seen fifteen trapped between the glass door and the screen, and been attacked by twenty-five (at least) when I opened the hot tub lid. I've screamed so much out of surprise that Josh is now quite wary of this harmless yet annoying moth. Thanks to CSU's extension services I now understand that these lovely creatures move east to west during the first weeks of June to reach higher elevation. The migration lasts two to three weeks. Ugh! Only 14 more days to go! Oh, and they are not susceptible to pesticides. Besides, "any moths killed will rapidly be replaced by new moths that migrate into the area nightly. " Yuck.

Hummm -- Just like the black birds that sit in our trees and poop all over the walkway in front of the house! They were here for about two weeks and now they have disappeared. Good riddance!
ReplyDelete