Wednesday, January 13, 2010

SOS

I need help. Let me rephrase that. I need chocolate chip cookie help. I can't make them and I don't know why! I can make amazing Reese's Peanut Butter chocolate chip cookies, homemade Oreos (thank you Kim), giant ginger cookies, brownies, cakes, pies . . . but the perfect chocolate chip cookies still eludes me. I've tried recipe after recipe and made all kinds of adjustments for altitude. And I'm starting to get ticked off! My kids deserve a childhood full of perfect chocolate chip cookies, right? What kind of mother would I be without providing this? This picture is of the cookies Jake and I made last night for preschool snack. I was actually kind of embarrassed to take them to school. I have a reputation to uphold. Anyway, if you have the perfect, NO FAIL recipe for chocolate chip cookies, please send it to me. I'll make you some lemon bars, or pb fudge, or Texas sheet cake, or cinnamon rolls . . .

10 comments:

  1. Help is on the way!!!!! Vance took one look at your picture and just cracked up. Why, cuz they look just like the ones I make. But there is hope, I have several professional chocolate chip cookie makers in this house. The twins actually made them tonight and they are perfect.

    Aaron says the trick is to make sure all the dry stuff is mixed first. Including the oatmeal. Then the rest of the ingredients. He says it can't be too wet. Needs to seem "almost dry."

    Try that!! As for me. I won't try the chocolate chip cookies anymore. Every time I do they turn out like crunchy candy that look like yours. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oddly enough I think your cookies have a somewhat mouthwatering-messy-Carl's Juniorish- dripping with gooey flavor-abstract appeal to them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't know if it will help or overwhelm you, but Alton Brown has a great episode on how to adjust recipes to get the type of chocolate chip cookies you want--look for "Three Chips for Sister Marsha" on YouTube. (Even if it's too much info to process, it's fun to watch!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chocolate Chip Cookies
    2 1/4 C flour; 1 tsp baking soda; 1 Cup butter; 3/4 Cup packed light brown sugar; 1/4 Cup white sugar; 1 small package vanilla instant pudding; 2 eggs; 1 t vanilla; 12 oz, chocolate chips; 1 Cup walnuts optional
    Mix flour and baking soda. Set aside. Combine butter, sugars, and dry pudding in large bowl. Beat until smooth and creamy. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Gradually add flour mixture. Stir in chips and nuts. Batter will be stiff. Bake on ungreased cookie sheet at 375 degrees for 8 to 10 minutes. Take out of oven when there are light brown specks on top. Don't over-bake or they will be hard.
    This is my favorite. Cookies turn out great every time! They don't spread out and have great texture and flavor!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The pudding to use is Jell-o Vanilla instant pudding, the small package.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can't help on the recipe . . . my philosophy is that broken cookies have less calories.

    Great composition on the picture. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Okay, Karen, here's the key: Use the recipe for Nestle Toll House Cookies found on the back of the Nestle chocolate chip bag. Increase the flour from 2 1/4 C. to 2 1/2 C. The only other thing is to make sure your butter is room temperature. If you try to thaw cold butter (or margarine) in a microwave and it gets the slightest bit melty, it will mess up the consistency of the dough.
    Also, using a cookie scoop so they're all the same size helps them cook more evenly.
    So there you go. I've been told many times that my chocolate chip cookies are delicious, and they are!
    I'll take lemon bars :0)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Okay Karen, I've gotten many compliments on this one and it's my family's favorite. Came from a college roommate.
    1 c. shortening, 3/4 c. white sugar, 3/4 c. brown sugar, 2 eggs, 1 tsp vanilla, 2 1/4 c. flour, 1 tsp salt, 1 tsp baking soda, choc chips. Same normal instructions - cream shortening and sugar, add eggs & vanilla, add dry ingredients and then choc chips. Bake 350 about 10 min (I think I usually do about 9 1/2).
    I think the key is the shortening, you've got to use the lard stuff (sounds gross), but since it's more solid than butter at room temperature they don't flatten out like so many recipes.
    Hope you find a good recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Actually, those cookies look wonderful! Nice and flat (every chocolate chip and nut showing) but still chewy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Karen. I wish I could help, but I am not the right person for that.. I stay out of the kitchen as much as possible! I have been thinking about you. How are you?

    ReplyDelete