Friday, March 16, 2012

Ski Trip

When I took the boys skiing this February, we got a little more adventure than we bargained for. Since it had been three years since our last ski trip, I signed both boys up for lessons. Josh got a 1/2 day and Jake got an hour plus daycare. They were both so excited and I was happy to have someone else teach them. Not only would I get a couple hours down the mountain on my own, but they would actually listen to an instructor instead of their mom. We drove up to Monarch bright and early on a Saturday and got everyone outfitted with skis and in their classes. I went down one run and got back in line to go again. A very friendly older man wearing an 80s style one-piece ski suit (it was teal green and purple--awesome!) joined me on the next lift ride. At the top of the lift my name was printed on the message board calling me to child care. I figured that Jake had taken a minor fall or was tired and they needed my permission to stop the lesson. When I got to child care they told me that Jake had passed out and was at Ski Patrol. When I got to Ski Patrol they explained that he passed out near the end of his lesson probably due to altitude sickness. It never even occurred to me that altitude would be a problem since we already live at 5200 feet. But because he's so small and hadn't eaten very much that morning, going up to 10,000 feet really hit him hard. So we got him a giant cookie and some chocolate milk and he was good to go. He went back to the day care while I skied a little bit with Josh before we decided to go home. Josh is doing great and ready to tackle the green runs now. Jake was very unhappy that I didn't take him out on the snow again. It was just getting too windy to stay. Can't wait to take them again--after a bigger breakfast though!


Josh mastering the slopes

Josh loved riding this caterpillar conveyor belt.

Jake on his way to his lesson. Aren't those tiny skis cute?

Still smiling after his visit to Ski Patrol.

1 comment:

  1. Poor Jake. Did you freak out? I know I would have! As soon as my name would come up on the message boards I would have freaked! Glad he wasn't hurt.

    ReplyDelete